Friday, February 29, 2008

Photo Book from Blurb.com



As l mentioned in my photo a day shots, l found out about Blurb.com while blog surfing and so decided to give it a go. Blurb is like Shutterfly only a little cheaper in price. I haven't made any books through Shutterfly as yet, but l have had the opportunity to see some that friends have made. As l see it, both Blurb and Shutterfly books are great, the quality in both is outstanding. I found that Blurb was cheaper in price, however Shutterfly does have sales occasionally and if you plan ahead you could create your books then wait for a sale before you order them. The only disadvantage that both companies have is that their international shipping costs are ridiculously high.


I decided to start with something a little small like our Bali vacation from way back in 2001(l know, l know, I'm way behind!). Since this was my first ever attempt at putting together a book, it did take me sometime! However l really enjoyed looking back at all the photos, and reading the notes Darren had taken on our trip. Let me tell you, that man is very thorough, l mean not only did he write where we ate but also what we ate (l love him for it). So along with the trip down memory lane and scanning photos l had taken with a cheap underwater camera, my book finally arrived. In all honesty it only took 9 days, but it felt longer to me.


I highly recommend giving Blurb a try, the quality of the album is very professional ( it really looks like you just bought it in a book shop). The website is easy to understand and work on, they guide you all the way. Of course if you are the adventures type and good at photoshop there is no limit to what you can create. There is also a FAQ page with lots of input by people that are willing to help or offer advise and ideas. I chanced on Robin's blog and got a wealth of info that l can't wait to try for my next book (did you really think l was stopping at just one?).Click on her name and you should link up to her blog.You need to check out her honeymoon album, it's to die for.Robin is kind enough to include templates that you can download and work on photoshop.


My album ended up being 28 pages, l could have gone to 40 pages for the same price, however l didn't really have many high resolution photos, and so kept them mostly small. As you will see when browsing Blurb, there are many albums out there with full page photos (I'll save it for my next album). Again what you create is only limited by you, you're free to write as much or as little as you want, and include as many photos as you want. But enough with me telling you about it, just visit their site, and for now l leave you with some photos of my book.


Enjoy.




Back of Book Sleeve

copyright page and first page of book




pages of the book

inside of back sleeve

No comments: